Happy New Year to everyone! Despite the challenges everyone faced in 2021, the homes.co.nz team are thankful for all the support of our users and are looking forward to 2022.
Despite signs of cooling towards the end of the year, 2021 was another blockbuster year for the NZ property market. The median HomesEstimate increased by more than 30% in most of our main centres. Christchurch was the standout performer with the median HomesEstimate increasing by 41% to $689K.
A selection of 2021’s most expensive sales around the country are listed below. Congrats to the new owners of these properties – the rest of us can only take a look and dream.
- 36 Central Terrace, Kelburn, Wellington – Sold for $6.5M in March
- 73 Argyle Street, Herne Bay, Auckland – The country’s most expensive, selling for $22M in June
- 21 Wairarapa Terrace, Merivale, Christchurch – Sold for $8M in March
- 114 Mooney Road, Speargrass Flat – From near Queenstown, sold for $18.25M in August
- 65 Meadow View Lane, Pukete, Hamilton – Developers opportunity sold for $5.226M
Not only did Herne Bay have the most expensive sale of 2021 (73 Argyle Street), but the suburb also ended the year as the country’s most expensive. The median HomesEstimate in Herne Bay is now $3.59M which is one of only two $3M+ suburbs. The other is Saint Marys Bay with a median HomesEstimate of $3.15M.
The most viewed properties on homes.co.nz were all unique and captured the imagination of Kiwis:
- 57 Otto Road, Ramarama – A luxury “resort style country lodge” just south of Auckland
- 345 Hebden Crescent, Kelson, Lower Hutt – A 25 Hectare estate in Lower Hutt
- 48 Matai Street West, Riccarton, Christchurch – A historic Christchurch property straight from Grand Designs
Monthly Property Update
The homes.co.nz Monthly Property Update is generated using homes.co.nz’s January 2022 HomesEstimates, providing an up-to-date perspective on house values around New Zealand.
How do we calculate these figures?
The homes.co.nz Monthly Property Update is generated using homes.co.nz’s monthly HomesEstimates and provides an up-to-date perspective on house values around New Zealand. By valuing the entire housing stock, the homes.co.nz Monthly Property Update can compare median values from month to month in a consistent and reliable way. Our HomesEstimates are calculated for almost every home in New Zealand by an algorithm that identifies the relationships between sales prices and the features of a property.
Established in 2013, homes.co.nz is NZ’s first free property information portal eager to share free property information to New Zealanders.
NZ’s First Home Buyer HomesEstimate
The “First Home Buyer HomesEstimate” is homes.co.nz’s estimate of what a typical first home may cost. It is calculated to be the lower quartile HomesEstimate in a town.